Tuesday, May 6, 2008

6 Roles - 6 Thinking Hats

From young, I like to do colouring. I love colours like blue, yellow, white, green, black and red. Yesterday, I learnt to use colours when doing my designing work. Colours create creativities.

Today, I learnt more about those colours. Today I think I learnt that colours can brighten our lives in many more ways. Today, I know colours can help us more ways than what I thought yesterday….colours could do.

Today, I know colours can help us make the right decisions. When needing to make a decision, we think about black, red, white, yellow, green and finally blue. Wearing hats are like taking up responsibilities, duties and roles.

Think about someone wearing a black hat. This person most probably knows about the disadvantages, the down side and all possible negative consequences. He is pessimistic.

Turn to your right and you sense the person with the red hat is emotional, usually feels and sense things from the bottom of his red burning heart. Is he now feeling comfortable?

Wearing the white hat is probably someone very neutral. He will do research, gathering data and finding the various objectives when doing things.

I think yellow is the brightest of all colours. Therefore I guess he must be thinking of all advantages, seeing things in the brightest and positive scenarios.

Oh…..now look at the person who always thinks out of the box. He wears a green hat and he enjoys creativities. He likes to give alternative, different and very out of mind ideas to challenge those ideas already in our minds.

Alright, back to ourselves. A decision maker needs to have many responsibilities, perform numerous duties and put ourselves into different roles. We need to start wearing those black, red, white, yellow and green hats. And finally a blue hat at the right top. Blue is a role to look at all these colours, one by one. Gathering and looking at it carefully, set up procedures, giving instructions and of course, making the right decision, after considering all these coloured hats. If you think you need to revisit these colours, please do so.

Remember black? Black can be colourful. If we always wear a black hat, it is time you think of the other 5 colours.

No decision is complete before looking at all these 6 colours. Get yourself those hats and wear them when you need them. Be ready to use them, always.

No comments: